[V4L] xawtv config question

I think this is a xawtv only question.  But just for completeness:

Running 2.2.17+raid, bttv 0.6.4h, xawtv 3.21, Xfree 3.3.6.

Now, I have an old bttv based card that I got a couple years ago when it
came with a camera.  Very no name (ie, I can't find a manufacturer name
anywhere on the box and documentation).  It has 3 ports on the back:  power
for the cam, RCA jack, and a non stand DIN.

When I tried this a while back (circa xawtv 2.35), I think the DIN turned
out to act like S-Video but it's not an S-Video plug.  Anyway, cam is dead
so it doesn't matter.  :->

Now, the RCA jack works as Composite1.  While I think it may have circuitry
for tuners and stuff, the only input really is Composite1.

So, my .xawtv is:

[defaults]
norm = ntsc
source = Composite1

Now, when I start up xawtv with this file, it works great.  I can happily
watch my VCR with it and listen to it plugged into my soundcard (well,
module a 60Hz buzz I haven't tracked down.  Grrr).  However, the title bar
for xawtv is a boring "???"

I would rather have it say something like VCR (well, without hacking the
code).

So, I tried added the following to .xawtv:

[VCR]
source = Composite1

Well, this changes the title ok, but it doesn't show anything!

I have to at least once right click on the window, bring up the menu,
select Composite1 (which is already selected!) and then I get video.

Am I missing a setting in the VCR section that would kick things into
action?   Am I missing a setting anywhere?

Thanks,
mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  and be right all the time, or not work at all