[V4L] VCD Production Notes

Since I bought my first DVD player about a year ago, I have been
interested in authoring video CDs (VCD) using Linux tools.

Thanks to a lot of hard work by others in the last year, I have recently
been able to make good VCDs.  I wanted to share my experiences in using
a diverse range of software.

I am currently using the following hardware:

o AMD Athlon 550Mhz processor
o Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI 128 (es1370 chipset)
o Win TV PCI
o Phillips Magnavox DVD 825 DVD player

and the following software:

o Linux kernel 2.4.0-test9
o videodevX + bttv2 (most recent as of 12 October)
o mp1e 1.8
o vcdtools 0.2
o lavtools 1.4
o qdvt (Quick and Dirty Video Tools)
o cdrdao

Here is the process I am using:

1. Grab video
   mp1e -v -G 352x240 -s 352x240 -b 1.152 -a 0 -B 224 -S 44.1 > foo_mpe1.mpg
   (Get error ``Bit rate is too low, dropping frames'')

2. Demultiplex audio for re-encoding
   mpeg1demux foo_mp1e.mpg -a "cat > foo.mp2" -v "cat > /dev/null"

3. Uncompress video for re-compression
   AUDIO_PIPE=`mktemp -u /tmp/audio.XXXXXX`
   mkfifo $AUDIO_PIPE
   VIDEO_PIPE=`mktemp -u /tmp/video.XXXXXX`
   mkfifo $VIDEO_PIPE
   ( qtmux foo.mov $AUDIO_PIPE $VIDEO_PIPE & mpeg1demux foo.mpg -a "buf | \
   mpg123-stream - > $AUDIO_PIPE" -v "buf | mpeg2decode | \
   yuvrgb > $VIDEO_PIPE" )
   rm $AUDIO_PIPE $VIDEO_PIPE

4. Re-compress video so that it is VCD-friendly
   mpeg2enc foo.mov -o bar.mpg

5. Multiplex video and audio
   vcdmplex bar.mpg foo.mp2 final.mpg
   (Get error ``BUFFER underrun!'' after about 40 seconds of video have
   been processed)

6. Create disc image
   mkvcdfs final.mpg

7. Burn it
   cdrdao write --device 0,3,0 --driver generic-mmc vcd.toc

Here are some problems, questions, and comments:

o Colors become washed out between step foo_mp1e.mpg and final.mpg.

o Image quality could be improved.  Perhaps I could grab with mp1e at
a bit rate above 1152Mb/s since I am recompressing anyway.  I have a
feeling mpeg2enc may be able to create higher quality low bitrate streams,
as it does not have a real time requirement.

o After about four minutes the video becomes extremely jumpy when I play
it on my DVD player.  This happens whether I fast forward to the four
minute point or not.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to try my disc
in any other DVD player than my own.

o How could I reduce the process I use?  I would really like to skip
the recompression phase, but mp1e seems to be unable to generate VCD
compliant streams at this point.  mpe1 is the ONLY grabbing program I
have found with which I am able to grab syncronized audio and video from
my Win TV PCI card.

Anyway, I would be very interested to hear any one else's experiences.

--
W. Michael Petullo

:wq