Re: [V4L] bttv hw question.

Adam wrote:

> Just curious, is that technically feasible to use bttv to
> display two channels at once?
>
> I figure it should be possible in THEORY to at very least switch bttv
> between two channels every frame rate, and thus making each channel at
> half of its normal frame rate.

In theory yes, in practice no.  Each source will have a slight offset in
frame rate, and probably also in black and white levels.  This means
that you typically loose at least one frame due to synchronisation, and
the next 0.5s or so are useless because the AGCs are setteling.

> But how does it look in practice? what's the best frame rate I could
> expect for two channels from single bttv card? (what's standard
> NTSC broadcast frame rate anyway?). And what's reasoanble frame
> rate to make movie look "normal" Is that 25fps ? 30fps?

Best frame rate you could expect is about 5 fps (if the levels are
approximately the same). NTSC broadcast is 30fps, and (for me at least)
anything below 20fps starts looking jerky.

> --
> Adam
> http://www.eax.com      The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers

-justin