From: James Sleeman
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 10/07/2000 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: [V4L] Displaying video on a web page?

---Reply to mail from Jim Ford about [V4L] Displaying video on a web
page?

> I'd like some pointers to info on displaying output from a video
camera,
> in real time, on a web site. I've installed a camera in a bird nesting
> box at a school where I work and it would be nice if it could be
> monitored on the school network.
>
> I guess that it would involve something along the lines of the server
> pushing the video data at a reasonable frame-rate to users browsers,
> using CGI. I'll be on a bit of a learing curve here, but the toughest
> part will be dealing with the IT dept!
>
> Regards: Jim Ford

I would look at streaming realvideo, realproducer can encode from a V4L
source in realtime on a reasonable machine and you can download it free.

So far as streaming the content goes I don't know - never done that but
I'm sure that there must be free solutions to that too - or maybe Real
would be generous seeing as it is such a good cause.

---
James Sleeman
bitsy_boffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (home)
james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)