Re: [V4L] Which MPEG software encoder?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 11:41:40PM -0400, Brian Ristuccia wrote:

> mp1e 1.8.0-pre3 creates acceptable mpeg-1 movies, although the lack of
> proper motion compensation requires the use of double bitrates in order to
> get acceptable quality output.
>
> But I've been able to play these streams with mtv, smpeg, and when recorded
> onto a CD-RW disc, my Sony standalone DVD player.

Where did you find mp1e 1.8.0-pre3, Brian?  I have only been able to
find 1.7.1.

I have been playing around with the 1.7.1 version for a while and am
pretty pleased with it.  What is the process you used to generate VCD
images from mp1e encoded video streams?  vcdpad 0.8 seems not to like the
MPEG files mp1e creates, running it on one creates an empty output file.

Both vcdtools and vcdimages complain when their input is not padded at
a 2324th byte.

Also, gtv, part of the smpeg package, plays mp1e generated files well.
Some people mentioned that mtv was the only player that worked well in
conjunction with mp1e.

--
W. Michael Petullo

:wq