Re: [V4L] RFC: Multiple capturing opens

> Here is my take on S_FMT vs STREAMON locking:
> S_FMT - only need memory for two capture resources.

Don't think this is a big plus.  Given you need plenty of
memory for the video frames anyway...

>       - better defined capture states in capture engine.

Why?

>       - no way of releasing resources without closing the open.

That's IMHO a major reason against S_FMT locking.

>       - allows "feedback" so the app can determine which resources are
> 	currently available.

Ha!  I have this on my page too (at the bottom).  A flag for S_FMT which
allows a app to specify if the driver should check against device
capabilities or against the currently available ressources might work
with STREAMON locking.

> (Gerd, could you please repost the URL for the multiple opens draft?  I
> accidentally nuked that one.)

http://www.strusel007.de/linux/bttv/multiple-opens.html

  Gerd

--
Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults who cant
stand up for themselves.		-- seen in some sig on /.