Re: [V4L] Which MPEG software encoder?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Andrew Stevens wrote:
> Trent Piepho wrote:
> > > mp1e 1.8.0-pre3 creates acceptable mpeg-1 movies, although the lack of
> > > proper motion compensation requires the use of double bitrates in order to
> > > get acceptable quality output.
> >
> > Do you know if mp1e generates I frames only, or does it generate P or even B
> > frames with no motion compensation?
>
> The version I was given by the author does P and B frames too but
> doesn't do motion compensation (yet?).  Its not a public release tho -
> you should contact the author for source...

In real time on a reasonable machine?  That's pretty impressive.  Of course
there is big range in what generating a P/B frame could entail.  You could
just take the current frame, difference it from the last one, and call it a P
frame.  The marginal cost of folding a difference operation into the DCT would
really be very little.  Now if you compare each macroblock to the
corresponding ones from the last N preceding frames and the following N
frames, and choose the one that compresses the best, that's a lot more work.

> > > But I've been able to play these streams with mtv, smpeg, and when recorded
> > > onto a CD-RW disc, my Sony standalone DVD player.
> >
> > How fussy is a DVD player at playing mpeg 1 CDs?  Must they be in a special
> > VCD format and resolution?  Or can they take an ISO9660 cdrom with a mpeg file
> > on it and play that?
>
> The stand-alone players I'm aware of all expect VCD format (which has
> some sync information in the sector info as well as the actual MPEG
> payload).  The directory structure is essentially ISO, but the

So if I have something at a different resolution, like 320x184 (16:9 tv show),
then trying to make a VCD out of it is hopeless?

> Odd ... I couldn't persuade you to try MPEG-1-ing the MJPEG's with the
> mjpeg version of the MPEG tools?  It'd be very handy to find out if
> there's a glitch in the MPEG syntax generated that the Linux players
> ignore.

I don't use windows myself.  I recorded the Sci-Fi channel's letterboxed
airing of Babylon 5 and one of the episodes contained a rather funny editing
goof that wasn't in the previous versions.  I put a mpeg clip on my web page
<http://www.speakeasy.org/~xyzzy/> so people could see it, but windows users
tell me they can't play it.