Re: [V4L] Which MPEG software encoder?

Trent Piepho wrote:

> > mp1e 1.8.0-pre3 creates acceptable mpeg-1 movies, although the lack of
> > proper motion compensation requires the use of double bitrates in order to
> > get acceptable quality output.
>
> Do you know if mp1e generates I frames only, or does it generate P or even B
> frames with no motion compensation?

The version I was given by the author does P and B frames too but
doesn't do motion compensation (yet?).  Its not a public release tho -
you should contact the author for source...

> > But I've been able to play these streams with mtv, smpeg, and when recorded
> > onto a CD-RW disc, my Sony standalone DVD player.
>
> How fussy is a DVD player at playing mpeg 1 CDs?  Must they be in a special
> VCD format and resolution?  Or can they take an ISO9660 cdrom with a mpeg file
> on it and play that?

The stand-alone players I'm aware of all expect VCD format (which has
some sync information in the sector info as well as the actual MPEG
payload).  The directory structure is essentially ISO, but the
actually video track(s) are in a special CD-XA MODE-2 format.
However, PC based hardware players basically seem to play most
"reasonably VCD or DVD-like" MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 streams.  However my
DXR2 does expect to be told its playing a "pure" MPEG-1/2 stream
rather than a VCD stream or a DVD VOB.

> I've recorded some stuff with a DC10+ in motion JPEG format, and then made
> MPEG-1 movies out of it with mpeg2_movie <http://heroinewarrior.com/mpeg2movie.html> for video and toolame
> <http://www.uq.net.au/~zzmcheng/> for layer II sound.  I can play them on
> Linux with MTV (fastest), lamp with smpeg, or xmovie.  windoze players can't
> seem to play them.

Odd ... I couldn't persuade you to try MPEG-1-ing the MJPEG's with the
mjpeg version of the MPEG tools?  It'd be very handy to find out if
there's a glitch in the MPEG syntax generated that the Linux players
ignore.

Andrew