Re: [V4L] Which MPEG software encoder?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:22:58AM -0500, Jon Pennington wrote:
> Andrew Stevens wrote:
> >
> > (2) There is "mp1e" which in its latest developer incarnations does
> > full MPEG-1 and is extraordinarily fast (there's some really neat MMX
> > coding and programming in that thar encoder).   I exchanged a few
> > emails with the developer about motion compensation search algorithms
> > but haven't heard anything in a while.  The emphasis is on speed.
>
> I've played with this, and it's cool, but the mpegs it generates are
> crap.  The /only/ mpeg1 player I can get to play the frames is MTV,
> which I'd really rather not rely on.  Is this project truly deep-sixed,
> or is there some glimmer of hope that the algorithm can be changed to
> make good mpegs?

mp1e 1.8.0-pre3 creates acceptable mpeg-1 movies, although the lack of
proper motion compensation requires the use of double bitrates in order to
get acceptable quality output.

But I've been able to play these streams with mtv, smpeg, and when recorded
onto a CD-RW disc, my Sony standalone DVD player.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx