Re: [V4L] video encoding

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> I am working on writing an X-based screen capture utility for video (or
> animation). (If I am working on something that has already been done,
> please let me know. Thanks.)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of format to save the video
> data in? (I don't want to save one frame per file.)
>
> It is possible that the stored data will be reused and edited several
> times. The end result is to have video content that is good enough for
> SVHS recordings. (My end-result goal is to be able to make videos for VCRs
> from edited screen shot video animations.)
>
> I am looking at the Berkeley mpeg_encoder. I am a little unfamiliar MPEG
> II -- is it lossless or does it lose data from every load and then resave
> (using an editor)?

MPEG is a definate no-no if you want to edit as it doesn't really
support
frame-by-frame cuts.

> Should I look at a different type of video format (such as AVI)? If so,
> what formats should I use?

The obvious choice would be to use Quicktime as the "wrapper" layer with
motion
JPEG (MJPEG) for the video.   Broadcast 2000 supports this (though
personally I've
never got it to run).  The same author also has a library for fast MJPEG
compression kicking around which bcast2000 uses.  The mjpeg_tools (which
do work for me 'cos I program on them ;-)) obviously also support MJPEG
quicktime and AVI however these do only very simply cut/paste editing.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on what encoders (or encoder libraries) I
> should use? Any URLs that I should look at?

Search for "video" on www.freshmeat.net to gets lots of useful links.

Andrew