[V4L] video encoding

I am looking for an appropriate mailing list to discuss miscellaneous
video encoding, video editing, video hardware for Unix-type systems. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

In particular, at this time, I am seeking advice/information about video
encoding formats.

I am working on writing an X-based screen capture utility for video (or
animation). (If I am working on something that has already been done,
please let me know. Thanks.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of format to save the video
data in? (I don't want to save one frame per file.)

It is possible that the stored data will be reused and edited several
times. The end result is to have video content that is good enough for
SVHS recordings. (My end-result goal is to be able to make videos for VCRs
from edited screen shot video animations.)

I am looking at the Berkeley mpeg_encoder. I am a little unfamiliar MPEG
II -- is it lossless or does it lose data from every load and then resave
(using an editor)?

Should I look at a different type of video format (such as AVI)? If so,
what formats should I use?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what encoders (or encoder libraries) I
should use? Any URLs that I should look at?

Thanks,

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/xvideo_capture/