Re: [V4L] switch to v4l2 ?

>   - Multi-buffering:  You can choose how many capture buffers you want
> (for short captures you can do a ramdisk type thing, where you allocate
> enough buffers for your capture, capture to these buffers and write to
> disk later).  In normal use, this also allows you to absorb a lot of I/O
> latency.

v4l allows this too, althrouth there is no way for the driver and the
application to negotiate size and number of the buffers (that's why it
might waste alot of memory).  The driver just says how much buffers it
has and the application can use them.

For bttv the number + size of buffers can be configured at insmod time.
Default is only two buffers, but you can raise that if you need more.

  Gerd

PS: I agree on the other points mentioned.

--
Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults who cant
stand up for themselves.		-- seen in some sig on /.