Re: [V4L] channel on demand?

> Simon wrote :
>
> > I hope to offer LAN user TV on net.
>
> I'd like to add a question to this issue. Is it possible to share /dev/bttv etc
> over the net. I mean, would it be possible to have xawtv running on a PC
> without a tv-card and then connect to a TV-card that is in another PC.
> Would save me lots of cable work and TV-cards :-)
> Even though it's possible to watch on one PC at a time, this would be
> interesting to me.

	Well, the first problem i can see is that 640x480 30fps color tv
is going to need more than two and a half times the full bandwidth of a
100mbps ethernet network. Remember to divide by 8 when dealing in serial
interfaces, that's a 12.5 megabyte/second interface. Its asynchronous and
shared, too. I've never personally seen an ethernet controller approach 12
megabytes per second, let alone 12.5. Closest I've seen was 11.4. (This is
using netperf, nothing but a crossover cable between identical nics in
identical PIII-550 machines) So essentially you need 3x the generally
available bandwidth of fast ethernet.

	So, you'd probably want to use some sort of compression. And then
it's just run of the mill media streaming, there are a lot of apps for
that. A number of them are listed on freshmeat.

 - Eric