[V4L] bttv and tuner configuration

hello,

I'm a Video4LInux newbie so bear with me. I've recently bought a
WinTV-GO card and have been trying to
configure it under Redhat Linux 6.2. I undertstand that all the relevant
drivers are part of the distribution and have
done a standard install, and am using the default kernel. I load the
relevant drivers as root :-

modprobe bttv
modprobe tuner
modprobe msp3400

and having downloaded, configured and installed xawtv tried to get a tv
session going. I used the scantv command to try to write a config file
for xawtv but despite going through several different options scantv
found no channels,
and xawtv just displayed a blue screen with noisy static. I would have
become very disheartened were it not for the fact that if i run up the
windows and tune into a channel, i can reboot the machine, load linux
and then without loading any of the above modules just call up xawtv and
i get a window up with the last channel i was on in windows
displayed perfectly. However i cannot get any other channels , it
doesn't matter how many times i go up and down
using the cursor keys i always get the same channel. Equally if i use
scantv it finds lots and lots of instances of just this one channel. If
i switch off the hardware and go straight into Linux i lose the ability
to get up the last selected windows channel.

I suspect this is a common problem but i have just not found the
relevant docs, please  help

many thanks

Phil.