Re: [V4L] Some thoughts about the current v4l <-> v4l2 discussion

> I like it.  Just add a little clause for backwards compatibility:
>
> The driver will store the results of the last successfult S_FMT
> globally, and apply this when an open does not do an S_FMT prior to
> STREAMON.

Ok, we need a "default context" which will be used to initialize stuff
when the device is opened.  But I don't like the idea to update it
implicitly on every S_FMT (or other attributes) very much.  I think it
would be better to do that explicitly - with a "save my current context
as default please" ioctl maybe.

I think this scheme is more useful.  You can use vctrl to configure the
driver defaults according to your needs (set input/norm to composite/ntsc
to make your camera the default for example) and use vcat to capture
images then.  vcat would still work with the camera input after you've
watched cnn news with xawtv on the tuner input.  Drawback is this would'nt
be fully backward compatible...

  Gerd

--
Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults who cant
stand up for themselves.		-- seen in some sig on /.