Re: [V4L] Some thoughts about the current v4l <-> v4l2 discussion

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> > If multiple capturing opens should be supported, this should
> > be done using a userspace-library anyway. There is no need
> > to add the complexity to every other driver out there --
> > some simple hooks + userspace library are much better.
>
> (1) Supporting multiple opens is not mandatory.
> (2) If a driver decides to support multiple opens it has to
>     keep multiple contexts anyway.  I can't see how switching
>     them with "simple hooks" rather than with multiple
>     filehandles makes it easier for the driver.

Of course for hw that is able to do multiple captures it is best to support
it in driver completely, but I dont think it should be done the way one
capture per open. The hooks should be there for the situation when number
of apps wanting capture exceeds capability of hardware and userspace is not
able to solve this effectively.

--
Marian Jančár <mjanx123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>