Re: [V4L] bttv bitmap clipping, and bug

Gerd Knorr writes:
 > >  > I see that the current bttv driver turns the clipping rectangles into a
 > >  > bitmap, then turns the bitmap into a RISC program.  It would be more efficient
 > >  > to go directly from a list of rectangles to a RISC program, and skip the
 > >  > bitmap step.  When you want to change overlay on a frame by frame basis, this
 > >  > inefficiency really does make a difference.
 > >
 > > I didn´t do it :-)
 > > The bitmap clipping was added after I stopped bttv development.
 >
 > Huh?  Who wrote it then?  /me did'nt, I just optimized it for speed some
 > day.  I havn't touched the RISC code buffer sizes, it is still 16k or so...

Sorry, you are right. I just checked my last release version from last year.
There is a #ifdef OLDCLIP before my old clipping code.
Then comes the new code with bitmap clipping.
I think I took it from one of the kernel versions of bttv at that time.
I don´t know who wrote it or who was responsible for the bttv
kernel versions. I never had contact to the people who did that.
I just used to merge the interesting parts which sometimes appeared in
them into my driver version so that they wouldn´t diverge too much.

Ralph