Re: [V4L] Why I just subscribed:

Tobias Gogolin wrote:
> > Is there a tool that any of you developers have
> > that could shed some light on the status and availability of the V4L
> > interface ports
> > such as:
> > - availability
> > - size
> > - update frequency
> > - PortName : how exactly a client would have to refer to the port
> > - Are any clients accessing the ports

A lot of these can be found out by looking in /proc/video/dev/ on newer
kernels.
There you will get all available video4linux devices and if you look in
each file you will get its name and type.
To see if any clients are using it I am afraid the only way is to see if
you can open it....
I asume that with size you mean the image size?
In that case you would have to open it and use VIDIOCGCAP to find the
maximum and minimum size, you will also be able to get the name and type
this way.
I wrote a little app a while ago to use the commandline for image
control, this did a lot of the things you describe, it is located at:
http://www.chello.nl/~j.vreeken/setv4l/

> > Are there any possibilities to 'massage' ports into certain shapes
> > to comply to clients expectations ?  For example I am investigating
> > the possibility to use Real producer as a client and it seems justly
> > they focused on v4l produced from Frame Grabbers (have cpia webcam)

If a program doesn't follow the spec and/or just assumes things I think
you should fix the app not the driver....

> > Point me to all the resources that are already available to
> > understand these issues And or lets compile further tools and info
> > resources to evolve the technology
> >
> > My vision is a more communicative methodology to hook components via
> > interfaces together and taking out the uncertainty and guesswork
> > with visual status monitors for components and interfaces

Jeroen