Re: [V4L] Ancilliary issues to "Tivo" alike

Jim Buzbee wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Mount the partition with the synchronous option.
> >
> > uggh. For 2.2 use O_SYNC so you just slow down the video writer thread and
> > stream the I/O, for 2.4 make use of O_DIRECT to raw device if possible for
> > even better behaviour

Not sure I understand how this would help.  Certainly synchronous
makes little difference.   The problem is the capture thread being
starved due to large peaks in disk acitivty caused by internal FS
house-keeping around file closure / file inactivity on big files.
What are O_DIRECT's semantics?

> What about the option of mmap'ing windows into the output file?  Would
> the setup overhead be worth it?  The hope would be that data could go
> from the video input driver to the output file system while minimizing
> the number of copies.

I will be investigating various options over the next week or so.
The issue definately isn't an excessively high median data-rate
(we're talking 4MB/sec max. sometimes as little as 500KB/sec).
Copying overhead shouldn't be a problem. The machine load is miniscule
during this activity...

Is suspect a simple work-around would be to pre-create the files
and then over-write them thus elminating file-system activity
associated
with block allocation.   Either that or better coding in
the capture thread to prevent it getting held too long in blocking
I/O...
I'll find out soon enough ;-)

Andrew