[V4L] RE: Debian in Academic and Public Organisations

Hi Dr. Simon Read, you wrote on 8/4/2000 7:23:13 PM:

>Folks,
>
>I am a Computer Science professor at American University in Washington
>D.C.
>
>I want  to recommend that we  replace Solaris in  our Computer Science
>department with  Debian.  In doing so,  I know that  we will encounter
>problems  wuite  specific to  the  public  (as  in non-profit,  public
>sector) and  academic nature  of the enterprise.   I want  to advocate
>Debian over  RedHat and  TurboLinux who are  trying to sell  into this
>market.
>
>Is there  anyone else out there  in this kind of  organisation, who is
>using Debian in  this kind of environment?  Contact  me and let's band
>together!

 I was in your {very pleasant} city this week for the APA convention.

 I watched a DOD presentation regarding the practicality of video
conferencing for medical uses {saves the military expenses and seems to be
fairly efficient} Unfortunately, I had to listen to the folk running the
thing speak glowingly of things like ms access, ms office, viatv{.com} and
pcanywhere {for remote control} They're also using procomp+ for remote
biofeedback... {www.thoughttechnology.com} The experiments were pretty
impressive aside from the chosen platform. :}

 It occurs to me that in a Democratic government... the government should
use Democratic {Of the people, etc} software and that linux seems a much
better solution given the importance of stability, low cost, etc to the
medical community and that medical software is the last thing I want to see
entrusted to ms.

 So's you can lobby...

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/1999/08/03/akamai.tamc.amedd.army.
 mil/lean/info.htm